Sunday, March 6, 2016

Travel Log: Oregon Day 1

After the horrific stress of the east coast trip I decided to leave the bike in SoCal.  I did ride the bike before 5 am to catch the Metrolink train to Norwalk.  I had to ride the bike from the Metrolink station to the bus stop, a good few miles.  I purchased my Metronlik return ticket at the Norwalk station.  After I got started and rode a few blocks I realized that a glove was missing from my hand.  I realized that I had left it at the kiosk when I purchased the ticket.  So I had to rush back to retrieve the glove before I was truly on my way.  It was a dry, chilly morning although the gloves were meant for Oregon. 

When I got to the transit center I locked my bike up and left my newly bought ultra-cheap LED lights on the bike.  The ride on the green line was nice enough but I was nervous about the time I had lost as the timetable was already tight.  I got to the Delta terminal, which unfortunately was the last one on the bus's circuit.  I decided not to print my boarding pass, instead opting to use my phone.  Unfortunately, the WI-FI cut out on me when I needed it so I had to try to use the kiosk, but I was too late.  Finally, I got the damn WI-FI to conjure my pass for the attendant (I didn't yet realize what the Passbook app on my phone was useful for). 

I got through security but had an epic walk to the last possible boarding gate where I was greeted by a closed gate.  Once again I missed a flight, which was becoming a trend for me.  I rescheduled, which resulted in a flight three hours later.  This three hour delay meant less time to enjoy the Portland sights before check-in and three hours of relative boredom and temptation to spend more money (which I did).  Yet, I got through it. 

Even though I booked a non-window seat I ended up in a window seat, which I kind of liked.  For much of the flight I caught up on downloaded Manhattan episodes.  There was something strangely appropriate about the flight path and the shows but I can't quite figure it.  Furthermore, the WI-FI was actually free! 

I had been eager to see America's top-ranked airport for the first time.  Indeed, there is a nice rustic yet slick and modern quality to the whole place.  However, I can't help but confessing that I still liked the Minneapolis airport better.  Nonetheless, I found my way to the light rail station after some navigational difficulty and I bought my day pass (suck on it New York for not offering day passes!). 

The airport was surprisingly far from the city, more so, it seemed, than LA or Minneapolis or Eugene.  My first goal was to go to Lewis and Clark College, which was supposed to be very beautiful.  In fact, due to the three hour delay it was my only stop before the Edgefield Resort and checking in. 

I was amazed at how quickly the grid gave way to a mostly wooded paradise with stylish homes.  Indeed, Lewis and Clark College was magnificent, I think I took my best ever photos there and can't wait to share them (sadly it's taken this long, and still counting).  After a mostly pleasant jaunt through the campus, I was confronted by a security guard who advised me that there were complaints/concerns and that I was no longer welcome to take photos.  Fortunately, I got pretty much everything I wanted and it was about time to leave anyways.  Yet, I am befuddled by the sensitive security measures in place like that and in Orange, but they can care less at real target like Washington D.C. and New York!

It started to rain and it was getting dark on my way back.  On the bus ride back to downtown, where I would catch the light rail, there was an issue with the buss where the driver had to pull over for an indefinite period of time.  We ended up actually transferring to a bus behind us to complete our journeys. 

After the light rail, I transferred to the final bus.  I forgot just how far away Edgefield actually was from downtown Portland (I knew it wasn't close, but man...). 

This time the weather was perfect even though I was prepared this time with special gloves.  Checking in this time paled in comparison to the virginal first time complete with freezing rain and an abundance of treacherous ice cover.  I enjoyed the free coffee and the fact that I had a room to myself for the first night.  I also looked forward to the fact that I had not missed the "opening ceremonies" like I had the first year.  Turns out the ceremonies were just a bunch of people standing around and talking. 

Yet, the unmistakable voice of MP Johnson beckoned with warmth, so I came and joined in.  I enjoyed actually knowing people this time.  Being that I was (and still am) committed to my fitness pursuits (the reason for my late entries), I naturally had to regale them with some boasts of my exercises and relatively advanced fitness.  

Eventually I found my way to my room and shivered with glee at my own Oregonian quarters where anything could go (almost anything, that is).  Don't worry, I didn't take advantage of the space as I could have.  That first night went by too fast.  I knew there were workshops the next day, the first of which I had failed to do part of the homework (the reading and review of my peers' story pitches), and the part of the homework I did do (my own pitch) was crappy (I was in the midst of a creative void that continues to this day). 

Of course, I didn't let these feelings ruin my enjoyment of a good room.

No comments:

Post a Comment