Monday, March 21, 2016

Cafe Lucca - March 12, 2016

By Scott Unfried
Main Entrance - Approaching from the north.
I took all these photos with my iPhone 5.

I love finally giving these local places a chance after years of passing them on my bike.  This was one of the better places, like Mead's Green Door (which I visited earlier in the day).  This place does indeed have an Italian/New York vibe.  I find it interesting that there is a progression of seating options.  There are the outdoor seats, then the outer enclosed seating area, and finally the main room.  The main room is itself broken into a more formal frontal section, and an open self-seating area in back.

It's part table service restaurant and part counter-service.  I made this visit just for the gelato and the photos.  People ordering gelato and perhaps other fare may do it simply by walking up and waiting to be served.  People may be seated more formally and served in that manner too.

By Scott Unfried
Main Entrance panorama!

A Little Closer.

...a little closer.

North wall.

South wall.

South.

North.

Gelato display.

Gelato display.
I enjoyed my tiramisu-butterfinger gelato.  I was impressed by how much I actually received in a relatively small bowl.  Although more expensive than Baskin Robbins, the portions were almost the same as a waffle cone without a huge price difference.  Next time I would like to try the Straciatella gelato.

When I got my gelato in the disposable container my first instinct was to exit, but then I realized that I was there to soak in the ambience.  I'm paying for the right to hang as much as for the gelato, so I came back in and seated myself at the back, which had a vaguely Starbucks vibe due to young adults at the table with laptops.  There was a couple, specifically, and I got the feeling that the girl was uncomfortable with my presence at the table (but it could all be in my mind).  Either way, I heard her making some odd intermittent tapping noises throughout my time there, but it wasn't distracting enough to ruin the experience.  

The restaurant packs much magnificence in a relatively small space between the ceiling design, light fixtures, and artwork. 

View from rear.
 
Main Dining Room Artwork.
The (apparent) owner is a big, hearty man with a thick Italian accent.  When I left he called to me: "Thank you, my friend."  When he scooped my gelato he did so with much gusto.  This is a great place if you want something that has an atmosphere of formality and luxury with the accessibility and convenience of more casual places.

Main Dining Room As Seen From Outer Seating Area.
By the way, the tiramisu gelato used a generic "Magic Shell" formulation that I regularly make and use at home as well.  

By Scott Unfried
My Tiramisu-Butterfinger Gelato with Kitchen in Background.

No comments:

Post a Comment