Sunday, March 20, 2016

Mead's Green Door Cafe March 12, 2016

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Main Entrance
Clearly this place has a hippie vibe.  It is a vegetarian/vegan establishment; I happen to be a vegetarian approximately 360 days a year.  I actually learned about this place while doing a homework assignment for a kinesiology class on healthful living in which I was reviewing various vegetarian and vegan resource websites.

All Photos Taken Quickly with my iPhone.

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Main Entrance

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Patio Opposite View from Main Entrance

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
View from Line Opposite Entrance
 
By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Counter, Bakery Case, Kitchen, and Cash Register
I was hoping that this place would be a table service place, certainly imagining it.  It turns out that this place is a hybrid between fast food and table service.  Fast food in that you order at the counter (counter service) and that you can get to go, table service in that they give you reusable dishes and offer a more decorated seating experience than typical fast food places.

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Seating Area Just Left of Entering
I sat in this seating area immediately to the left of the entrance, which I had all to myself and was quite cozy.  In fact, I felt so comfortable that I sat with my back to the door, something I don't generally do.

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Seating Area Just Left of Entering

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Seating Area Just Left of Entering


By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Looking into central seating area from a bar just right of entrance.
This place has a bar for seating, not an alcohol bar, right of the entrance.  This is just one of many interesting things about this place.

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Artwork Above Seating Area Just Left of Entering

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Bus Your Own Dishes.
By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Blue Plate Special
The Blue Plate Special was truly delicious and worth the visit.  It reminded me a bit of my own cooking, but I haven't learned how to make my own veggie sausage this good (I buy mine) and I haven't learned to make the dark veggie country gravy either (once again, I buy mine).  I was able to detect that green bell pepper dominated the "sausage" flavor.


By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Blue Plate Special Opened Up


The chili was also great.  When I got home I emulated the dish pretty successfully.  I had the same rainbow quinoa, used less beans, and changed some of the vegetables, but overall recaptured the essence.

Bottom line: both of my selections were excellent and had me ready and willing to emulate them.  Furthermore, there are more items on the menu I'd try during future visits.

By Scott Unfried - Taken with iPhone 5
Mead's Three-Bean Quinoa Chili


No comments:

Post a Comment